2018 Annual Conference - Registration opens 6/1/18!
We would like to invite you to attend our 40th Annual Conference organized by the Executive Committee of the Rural Planning Caucus of Virginia, which will be held from October 17- 19, 2018 at the historic Mountain Lake Lodge in Pembroke, Virginia.
The conference begins Wednesday afternoon with a walking tour of Mountain Lake and its facility improvements including a stop at the Mountain Lake Conservancy. Dinner Wednesday night will be in Mary's Barn preceded by a welcome reception at 6 pm. Thursday morning focuses on a key interest to rural Virginia - Rural Broadband. The after lunch sessions include topics of rural transit and native vs. invasive plants. Following a short business meeting (open to all attendees) the annual hike up the mountain begins at 4:45 pm. A reception in Mary's Barn begins at 6:30 pm followed by dinner and entertainment (tentatively planned to be a casino night) including our ever popular annual awards ceremony!
The conference concludes with a morning session on state agency perspectives for the upcoming year as well as a session on recent law and legislation and upcoming state legislation for 2019. Unless noted, all sessions will have AICP Certification Maintenance (CM) credits.
Virginia RPC is an organization that is dedicated to identifying, publicizing and satisfying the unique planning needs of small towns and rural areas. Every year the RPC Executive Committee works hard to organize a conference where rural planning professionals from around Virginia and surrounding states can discuss important rural planning topics and network to better promote and sustain resilient rural communities.
2018 marks 40 continuous years that RPC has been hosting an annual conference for rural planning professionals. We also support the next generation of rural planners by offering an annual $1,000 scholarship to a planning student to continue their studies. Since 1999, RPC has awarded over $13,000 to college students at Virginia universities with planning programs.
Please visit our Past Conferences page to see what kind of conference topics and activities we have covered in prior years.
The 2018 conference is expected to provide full conference participants with around 10-12 CM credits - including legal credits. If your two-year AICP reporting period is almost over, you'll appreciate these CM credits!
The dtaft conference agenda can be found here:
Conference Registration Information
All attends need to register for the conference online by clicking the link below. The conference registration does not include meals or lodging. Mountain Lake Lodge includes meals with the lodging costs - so paying for lodging also pays for your meals. If you do not need lodging, but desire to join us for meals, day attendee registration options are available below.
Online registration opens June 1, 2018 and remains open until Friday, October 12, 2018.
2018 Conference Registration Options:
- Full Registration - $125: This option is for those that also have lodging at Mountain Lake and whose meals are already included in their lodging costs.
- Day Attendee Option 1- $205: This option is for those who do not have lodging at Mountain Lake and includes one day of meals (i.e. for those attending just Thursday). Cost includes the conference registration and meals for 1 day (including applicable meal taxes).
- Day Attendee Option 2- $285: This option is for those who do not have lodging at Mountain Lake and includes two (2) day of meals (i.e. for those day attends attending the full conference). Cost includes the conference registration and meals for 2 days (including applicable meal taxes).
- Life Member Registration - $100: This option is only available for those RPC members who have been designated Life members by the Executive Committee.
Important Note:If you are a sponsor, please check with Christy Straight before registering for the conference. Silver sponsors receive one (1) complimentary registration and Gold receives two (2) registrations.
2018 Conference Registration Payment Options:
RPC 2018 Annual Conference Registration
- Online Payment: The website processes credit card payments from VISA, MC and Discover as well as via PayPal.
- Payment by Check: If you prefer to pay by check, please click the “Pay by check” option when you are registering and print and mail the invoice with a check made payable to: “Rural Planning Caucus of Virginia” to the RPC Treasurer, Ms. Sharon Angle, P.O. Box 2721, Staunton, VA 24402.
Lodging & Meals Information
Lodging for the 2018 conference is at Mountain Lake Lodge in Pembroke, Virginia. Lodging at Mountain Lake Lodge is separate from the conference registration cost. All meals are included in the lodging costs. The 2018 lodging rates are:
- 1) When making reservations, please mention that you are attending the RPC conference.
- 2) For those that desire to arrive earlier than the conference or stay later after the conference ends, Mountain Lake Lodge will be offering the same lodging rate two days before and two days after the conference.
- 3) Mountain Lake Lodge requires a first night's room deposit that is guaranteed with a credit card when reservations are made.
- 4) Hotel check-in is at 4:00 PM and check-out time is 11:00 AM.
- 5) Reservations should be made no later than August 17, 2018. After August 17th the RPC room block will be released to the public.
- 6) Lodging Cancellations/ Refunds: In order to receive a refund on the deposit provided when your reservation was made, all cancellations must be made within 14 days prior to arrival. Any cancellation after this date results in the loss of the one night deposit provided when the reservation was made. This is the policy of Mountain Lake Lodge and RPC has no control on lodging reservation refunds.
7) Reservation can be made by calling:
Mountain Lake Lodge Reservations:
Who Else Has Registered?
Click the link below to see who else has registered for the 2018 conference.
Registration Scholarship Availability
Thinking of giving RPC a try? A limited number of registration scholarships (in the form of a discounted registration rate) are available for 2018. Please contact RPC Chair Christy Straight to check on availability.
Becoming a RPC sponsor is easy. We offer sponsorship at multiple price-points, and Silver and Gold Levels come with conference registration(s). If you are interested in learning about our conference sponsorship options, please visit our Sponsorship webpage.
Thanks to the following organizations who have already agreed to be 2018 sponsors: